On The Rise

Your #1 Choice for News + People On The Rise To Stardom

Michael Rubin’s Fanatics, JAY-Z, Meek Mill and Lil Baby Officially Acquire Mitchell & Ness

Michael Rubin’s Fanatics sports apparel empire will now be home to one of Philadelphia’s oldest clothing brands.

The Sixers co-owner’s sports merchandise company and a team of celebrity investors have acquired vintage sports clothing brand Mitchell & Ness for $250 million.

The celebrity group includes rappers Meek Mill, Jay-Z and Lil Baby, businessman Maverick Carter and social media influencers the D’Amelio family. Fanatics will own 75% of the company, while the other investors will combine to own 25%.

The deal will fold Mitchell & Ness’ portfolio of throwback sports apparel and casual wear into Fanatics’ existing platform as part of an effort to increase the former’s global reach, expand product offerings and acquire more licensing rights.

Mitchell & Ness will continue to operate as a separate brand within Fanatics’ commerce division. All 132 Mitchell & Ness employees, including those based in its home city of Philadelphia, are expected to be retained.

Mitchell & Ness was founded in 1904 by Frank Mitchell and Charles Ness and had its first retail store on Arch Street. The company began as a sports equipment manufacturer stringing tennis racquets and creating custom golf clubs.

By 1925, Mitchell & Ness expanded into making uniforms for high school, college and semi-pro teams in Philly and the surrounding area.

The company began making on-field jerseys for the Eagles when the franchise was founded in 1933 and continued to do so through 1963. By 1938, the company expanded into professional baseball and started making Philadelphia Athletics and Phillies uniforms.

Mitchell & Ness then pivoted to creating vintage sports jerseys and apparel in the 1980s. Along with its authentic throwback uniforms, the brand has become synonymous with street fashion and hats. The company has apparel deals with the NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS and a number of NCAA schools.

The business was purchased by Adidas in 2007, which it later sold to Juggernaut Capital Partners in 2016 for about $50 million, according to the New York Post.

Mitchell & Ness has seen its revenue triple since Juggernaut’s purchase. The company had $350 million in revenue last year, with $70 million in profit.

News Source: PhillyVoice  Written Credits: Pat Ralph 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Discover more from On The Rise

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading